Speaker's MessageMr. Parvez Elahi
I welcome you on visiting the official website of Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, the largest provincial legislature of Pakistan. It is a great honour for me as the initiative of developing and launching the first ever website for Punjab Assembly was undertaken during my previous tenure as Speaker twenty years ago. This has been an excellent source of instant, useful, historical and valuable information to its users about Punjab Assembly and has the following comprehensive sections:- (a) It reflects Assembly functioning and its Committees at work and provides the latest information about the session (including the agenda, summary of the proceedings,…
Deputy Speaker's MessageSardar Dost Muhammad Mazari
I am thankful that you are viewing the official website of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab, the most populous province of Islamic Republic of Pakistan The website is a commendable effort to show the Assembly business and active participation of the Members, their devotion and strong commitment to raise their voice for the solution of the peoples’ problems. In this age of information, Assembly Secretariat has tried to present broad and comprehensive information about the functions of the provincial legislature at a click of the viewer. I am confident that you would find it as a treasure of rich…
No event found.
PUNJAB ASSEMBLY LIBRARY
It is a matter of great privilege for the Punjab Assembly Library as it is considered one of the oldest Parliamentary Library in the country which was established in 1921. Being a specialized Library, it has a treasure of nearly 60,000 books of the following:-
1. A rich collection of Encyclopedias, including Electronic Multi Media Encyclopedias i.e. (CDs).
2. The users of the library travel to different parts of the world through the books which enable them to quench their thirst of knowledge. Therefore, Punjab Assembly has not only the proceedings of Senate, National Assembly of Pakistan, Punjab, Sindh and Balochistan Provincial Assemblies but also has the collection of proceedings of different Assemblies of the world i.e. Proceedings of Indian State Assemblies, Legislative Assembly of India, (Pre-independence period), Indian Lok Sabha, House of Commons, House of Lords and US Congress. So, the available material in the library is an affluent helping source for the legislators to participate actively in the legislative process.
3. Punjab Assembly Library has not only the books but also supports its users through video films of proceedings of various Parliaments of the world so that the legislators who are the main users of the Parliamentary Library including the students/researchers of different universities can be acquainted with the parliamentary traditions of different democracies of the world.
4. This library is a parliamentary library still it has a remarkable collection of books on different topics including History, Politics, Law and Islam etc.
5. As this is an age of IT which has converted the world into a global village, therefore, the library is also providing Internet facility to the Members of the Punjab Assembly so that they can get themselves benefitedfrom e-libraries as well as can consult the bulk informative material available through Internet.
In the past, the Punjab Assembly library was one of the users of LAMP software which was especially designed for the libraries. Now with the advancement in the field of IT, the Library uses KOHA Software for cataloging and search of books. Punjab Assembly library catalogue is also available on www.library.pap.gov.pk.A book can be searched by Accession No, Classification No (DDC), Author, Title, Subject, International Standard Book Number or any word.
The useful links of other Parliamentary libraries of Pakistan is also available:
Punjab Assembly library is also a step ahead from other libraries of provincial assemblies as it had made efforts to preserve the old and precious record through microfilming. To cope with the challenges of the modern IT requirements, the Punjab Assembly library has successfully converted this process from microfilming into scanning to preserve the valuable collection of antique books, debates and some other important documents.
From Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. In Session days from Monday to Friday: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm and Saturday to Sunday: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. In the case of evening Session library remains open till the adjournment of the Session.
The following materials have some importance in the library:-
1. Punjab Assembly Debates 1897 to date
2. National Assembly of Pakistan Debates 1947-2010
3. Senate of Pakistan Debates 1975-2013
4. Legislative Assembly of India Debates 1921-1948
5. Council of State (Rajya Sabha) Debates 1921-1946
6. House of People (Lok Sabha) Debates 1952-1965
7. House of Commons Debates 1874-1995
8. House of Lords Debates 1909-1920
1. The Gazette of Punjab 1921 to date
2. The Gazette of West Pakistan 1955-1970
3. The Gazette of Pakistan 1947 to date
4. The Gazette of India 1922-1948
1. The Punjab Budget 1924 to date
1. The Pakistan Laws 1836 to date
2. The Punjab Laws 1860 to date
3. All Pakistan Legal Decision (PLD) 1947 to date
PERIODICALS AND NEWSPAPERS
The following periodicals and newspapers are being purchased by the Library:-
3. Reader’s Digest
4. The Friday Times
1. Daily “Dawn”
2. Daily “The Nation”
3. Daily “The News”
4. Daily “Jang”
5. Daily “Nawa-e-Waqt”
6. Daily “Pakistan”
7. Daily “Khabrain”
8. Daily “Din”
9. Daily “Express”
10. Daily “Ausaf”
Library Committee2018-till date
No, Library Committee found in current assembly tenure.
The Punjab Provincial Assembly Library Rules 2005
1. Short title and commencement.-(1) These Rules may be called "The Punjab Provincial Assembly Library Rules 2005 ".
(2) They shall come into force at once.
2. Definitions.- In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires:-
(a) 'Member' means a Member of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab;
(b) 'Reference Book' means a book to be consulted to find information and includes dictionaries, encyclopaedias, atlases, maps, almanacs, gazettes, year books, PLDs, AIRs, rare books, books comprising more than one volume and any other book which the Librarian may declare to be a Reference Book;
(c) 'Secretary' means Secretary of the Assembly and includes any person for the time being performing the duties of the Secretary;
(d) 'User' means a user of the Library under these Rules including a Member.
3. Library Timing.- (i) The Library shall remain open during office hours as may be notified by the Punjab Assembly Secretariat from time to time;
(ii) On days on which the Assembly is in Session, the Library shall remain open till the Session is adjourned.
4. Library User.- The Assembly Library shall be exclusively meant for the use of Members and Secretary/Additional Secretary of Assembly Secretariat, provided that:-
(I) Secretaries and Additional Secretaries to Government of the Punjab and former Members of the Provincial Assembly of the Punjab may be allowed to consult the Library during office hours but they will not be entitled to borrow the books and publications from the Library; and
(ii) Post-Graduate students, on the recommendation of Heads of the Institutions concerned and Research Scholars may be allowed to consult the Library during off Session days with the prior permission of Honourable Speaker.
5. Loan period.- A Member may borrow three books at a time for a period not exceeding 15 days, grace of fifteen days may also be given to the borrower.
6. Reference Books.- A reference book shall not be allowed to be taken out of the Assembly premises and all reference books shall be stamped as "Reference Book ? not to be issued by the Librarian".
7. Recall a Book.- If a book already issued on loan is required for any important or urgent purpose, the Librarian may recall it at any time and such a book shall be returned by the User immediately.
8. Issue Register.- A Loan Register shall be maintained for issue of books to the Members who at the time of borrowing the books shall sign the relevant entry in the Loan Register. At the time of return of books, the Member shall satisfy himself that the same have been struck off from the said register.
9. Re-issuance of a book.- No additional book/publication may be issued to a defaulter user till the outstanding book/publication is returned. Books may be got re-issued, if there is no demand for the same from other users. For this purpose, the books shall be returned at the counter and got re-issued within the original loan period.
10. Reminder for return of the Book.- After the expiry of loan period, the Librarian shall issue reminder regularly for return of the book.
11. Recovery from the User.- If a book or other publication is not returned to the Library within a period of three months from the date of its issue, the same shall be presumed to have been lost and thereafter necessary recovery at source shall be started.
12. Prohibition.- Marking of any kind, underlining and writing on a book is strictly prohibited.
13. Responsibility of a User.- The user who borrows a book will be responsible for any injury or damage to the book on loan with him/her and Librarian may call upon the user either to replace the book or pay for the damage.
14. Suggestion Book.- A suggestion book shall be kept in the Library in which the Members/Users may record their suggestions, if any. The Librarian shall, from time to time, bring to the notice of the Secretary the suggestions made by the Members/Users.
15. Silence.- Users shall observe complete silence in the Library.
16. Smoking etc.- Smoking, taking of meals and refreshments is forbidden in all parts of the Library.
17. Repeal: The existing Rules for the Punjab Assembly Library are hereby repealed.
- 1. What is the total number of seats of the Punjab Assembly?
- 2. What is the number of quorum required for a sitting of the House?
- 8. Who laid the foundation stone?
- 6. Who was the first elected Deputy Speaker of the Punjab Assembly?
- 9. When was the first sitting of the Assembly held in the present building?
- Report of the Standing Committee on Specialized Healthcare & Medical Education regarding the Pakistan Kidney and Liver Institute And Research Center Bill 2019 (Bill No. 04 of 2019) 8th March 2019
- Report of the Standing Committee on Industries, Commerce and Investment regarding the Mir Chakar Khan Rind University of Technology Dera Ghazi Khan Bill 2019 (Bill No. 03 of 2019) 1st March 2019